Thursday, March 28, 2013

Grandma Meg's Spinach Salad


My Grandmother shared this recipe with me years ago. Every time I make it, I still pull out the handwritten recipe card even though I know it by heart. There's something very special about cooking her recipes that were so much a part of my childhood. This salad pairs perfectly with any meal, whether it's an upscale steak dinner or a simple summer burger. We always traveled to Connecticut to spend Easter with Grandma and I plan to serve her recipe for Easter dinner just as she served it with hers.

Grandma Meg's Spinach Salad Recipe

For the salad:
11 oz. baby spinach
1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1 cup mandarin oranges, canned
1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced

For the dressing:
1/2 cup mayonnaise
3 tbsp. bacon bits
2 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tbsp. honey
2 tsp. red onion, finely chopped
1/8 tsp. salt

Combine salad ingredients in a large bowl. Combine dressing ingredients in a jar and shake well. Pour dressing over salad. Toss to coat and serve. Store leftover dressing in refrigerator. Enjoy!

Tips: This recipe serves 3-4 people so you may want to double it if you plan to serve a crowd. The dressing goes a long way! Start with a small amount...you can always add more!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVED when your Grandma made this! I think it of every time I want a spinach salad, but never knew the recipe. Thank you for sharing! Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete