Sunday, May 5, 2013

Homemade Carrot Cake


I wouldn't consider myself to be a great baker. I love to cook because I don't really have to measure exactly which allows me to get really creative in the kitchen. Of course, this doesn't fly with baking and I've had lots of disasters in the process. I've always played it safe and stuck with boxed cake mix, so this was my first attempt at a homemade cake. I was pleasantly surprised and it was much easier that I expected. If I can do it...then anyone can! This carrot cake was over the top delicious! The icing alone is to die for!!!

Homemade Carrot Cake Recipe

From I Kiss Better Than I Cook

Cake Ingredients:
2 cups all purpose flour
2 cups granulated sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
3 cups grated carrots
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
4 eggs

Icing Ingredients:
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
16 oz. confectioner's sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup pecans, chopped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl. Using a hand mixer, add oil and mix on low speed. Add carrots and continue mixing. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Pour into 2 greased round cake pans and bake for 40-45 minutes. Allow cake to cool. Using a hand mixer, mix cream cheese and butter. Add sugar and vanilla and mix until well combined. Spread icing on cake. Garnish with chopped pecans (I gently pressed them into the sides of the cake).

2 comments: