Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Stuffed Peppers


My mother-in-law is a fabulous cook and she taught me how to make stuffed peppers a few years ago. I've made a few adjustments, but this is basically her recipe. It's great for a weeknight meal and is even easier when you throw it in a slow cooker!

Stuffed Peppers Recipe


Ingredients:
6-8 large green peppers
2 lbs. ground beef
1 lb. bacon, chopped
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup Minute rice
2 28 oz. cans tomato sauce

Cut the tops off peppers. Remove and discard the ribs and seeds from inside the peppers. Place in a baking pan. Chop bacon into small pieces. Cook in pan over medium heat. When bacon is almost completely cooked, add onion and garlic. Saute with bacon until onions are transparent. Cook Minute rice according to package directions. Combine ground beef, bacon mixture and rice in bowl. Mix well with hands. Fill each pepper with beef mixture. Pour tomato sauce on top of peppers. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 2 hours or until peppers are soft. Serve with mashed potatoes.
 
Tips: I usually chop up the tops of the peppers and throw them in the beef mixture for extra flavor. I only make the stuffed peppers in the oven if I'm cooking for a crowd. I much prefer to put them in a slow cooker on low for 8 hours. I make them the night before and just turn the slow cooker on in the morning and they're ready to go when I get home from work.
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment