Monday, September 17, 2012

The Great Dip Off


Football season is in full swing! My husband and I both grew up in Pittsburgh so, of course, we're Steelers super fans. My husband thinks he's on the team. My neighbors hosted a football "dip off" this weekend. Even though they're rival fans, we decided to join the neighborhood celebration of dip. I decided to make two different recipes. First, I made my buffalo chicken dip. This was an easy one because people usually go crazy for it, but I make it ALL THE TIME. I also wanted to try a new recipe. My mom recommended Liptauer Dip. I was a little leery about the recipe, but my Mom swore that it's completely addictive. She said she used to pray for leftover dip then eat it by the spoonful, straight out of the fridge. Of course, with this kind of enthusiasm, I just had to see what it was all about. I have to admit, it was delicious, but I think the buffalo chicken dip will always be my favorite!

Liptauer Dip Recipe


Ingredients:
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 stick butter, softened
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. caraway seeds
1/2 cup green onions, thinly sliced
Pumpernickel bread bowl (I used sourdough instead)
Extra pumpernickel loaf

Mix cream cheese, butter, sour cream, dry mustard, paprika, salt and caraway seeds using mixer. Fold in green onions. Hollow out bread bowl and cube the bread you removed and the extra loaf of pumpernickel. Put dip mixture inside bread bowl and serve with bread cubes.


Shea's Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe


Ingredients:
1 1/2 lb. chicken breasts
16 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 cup hot sauce
1 cup blue cheese dressing
5 oz. crumbled blue cheese
2 cups cheddar cheese

Cook and shred chicken (I usually just cook it in a pan with a little butter and chicken broth, but you can cook it any way you like). In a 9x13 baking dish, combine cream cheese, hot sauce, blue cheese dressing, blue cheese crumbles and 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese. Add shredded chicken. Stir until well mixed. Sprinkle 1/2 cup cheddar cheese on top. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Serve with tortilla chips.


Tips: You can substitute ranch dressing for the blue cheese, but I've been told that the blue cheese is much better than the ranch and blue cheese haters will never be able to tell the difference. You can also substitute light cream cheese, cheddar cheese and blue cheese for a healthier option and serve it with carrots and celery.

No comments:

Post a Comment